Saturday, October 12, 2013

Too Many Movies to Watch

Greetings
 Who am I? A guy who goes to Film School and watches movies. Here is my mission: To review and discuss films as I see them, and to chart what will likely be a progressive change in tastes, scope, and attitudes towards films, genres, actors/directors, and the medium as a whole. I am inviting you to take this journey with me. 

So what am I reading? 

This is first and foremost a review blog. I watch a lot of movies and have focused my eduction to discussing them, so I figure what's the point of checking out a movie on Netflix if I don't talk about it?

In addition to all that, I may or may not post a few opinionated, rant-like submissions. If I feel like something needs to be said, well hey, I might take a crack at it.


I guess it's also valuable to point out that I have a few other minor interests here and there. Maybe I'll shake things up and do a book review (if I can remember how to read).


Importance

If you skim everything I just said and only decide to read one thing in this post, make it this. There's gonna be hella SPOILERS in this blog. I'll do my best to protect the naive public by posting before each review that it will contain spoilers. I can't help anyone other than that. To really talk about the movie I have to divulge plot details, it's just the nature of the beast. This isn't just to tell you whether or not to see it, it's to work through my thoughts on the film and offer a point of view to anyone curious. Sure, I'll post a little something about whether or not I liked the film and who I would recommend it to. That will come first. Otherwise you'll have to learn to scroll, and scroll fast.

That's all you need to know.


The posts may be long.


The posts may be short.


They will be infrequent. 


I have yet to watch a lot of the greats, the many classics that shape the way story telling and film grammar is done today. There are many genres, time periods, and directors that I am completely unfamiliar with. I plan to change this.


To wrap things up, I'll leave you with some quotes.


The First is by Jean Renoir, one of the filmmakers whose filmography, time period, and genre are ones I am completely unfamiliar with. I saw this quote in a homemade textbook that one of my entry level film studies professors made for us.



"You have a frame. The frame is a scene in a movie or the frame of a painting. You must fill this frame" -Jean Renoir





I am more of a movie watcher than a movie maker. I am far too impatient to make movies. I love this quote nonetheless. It's strays a little from the point of this blog, but I'll ignore that because I think what Renoir is saying is very important. I think all of us, who love film, recognize this at a fundamental level. That the camera is never just placed there. The cut is never made arbitrarily. Every film we watch is an accumulation of ideas we see on a large rectangle. A great film, both from shot to shot and as a whole, demonstrates a certain fullness that can be acquired technically and through talent.

The second is from Roman Polanski.



"Cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theater" -Roman Polanski
 This one is pretty simple. I wanted to add some contrast to the last quote as well. Not every movie is a detailed, nuanced, brilliant work filled with symbolism and metaphors. Some films are just entertaining*. That's why most people start getting interested in film. I like to think that, if a movie is really good, you will forget about your numb, flattened ass.

*entertaining is loosely defined here.


And here is the third.



"I like tits and ass. Mostly tits" -Paul Verhoeven

I just like this quote.





No comments:

Post a Comment